Saturday, September 6, 2008

Lauren & James Status Update (1 week old)

It's been a few days since I've blogged and I know that at least the proud grandparents are aching to see some pictures. I hope to have these pictures and more loaded to Picasa by tomorrow, but for now, these will have to do.
Peaceful James
Why'd you wake me up? (James)

Skin to Skin with Little Lauren

Lauren and James have been making great progress in the NICU all week. Originally, they were both on assisted breathing machines (that's what the tubing was on their heads); IV's to provide extra fluid and nutrients; and phototherapy lights for jaundice. They were also in separate rooms due to a lack of available beds. The NICU's goal is to have the babies able to breath, suck and swallow on their own before they can come home with us. For premature babies, whose coordination isn't that of a term baby, that's a lot to achieve all at once. As of today, Lauren and James are both off of the assisted breathing machines; keeping their food down (although it's still administered by a feeding tube); and their IV's are out. Lauren is off of the phototherapy lights, however, James had gone off and is now back on. The jaundice is cause of his darker skin pigmentation than his tiny sister.

John and I have also had the privelege of holding James and Lauren, changing their diaper, and taking their temperature. Today when I visited them, I got a little more diaper changing practice than I had anticipated. When I first started changing Lauren, I noticed her diaper hadn't been soiled at all -- poop or pee. But after sliding the new diaper in, brown goo began to ooze out of her bottom and just wouldn't stop. I kept wiping her down, and there it would go again. And then she'd start peeing at the same time. I think I won the award for the longest diaper change ever. It must have taken me a solid 15 minutes from start to finish. Thankfully James' diaper change went a lot smoother because it was time for me to go pump.


Start of the Longest Diaper Change Ever (Lauren)

The Money Shot

Ah... I'm clean!

Mission Accomplished!

2 comments:

melifaif said...

I cannot wait to see those precious angels in person....Caroline, you look amazing! I am happy to hear the twins are developing well! Love to you all.

Gulley Gang said...

I love all the new pictures! So great to see James' eyes open now, and even better to see both beautiful angels without all the stuff on them. I can't wait to hold them and love all over them. Cade is just as anxious! You look great Caroline!